13 May 2007

Adeus Brazil

View all photos from Brazil: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AcNmzVq5YsWLFwg


This past month in Brazil has been distinct from prior travels (yes, I have sold my motorcycle and have returned to backpacking), but I no longer traveled alone – my sister Julia joined me and Brazil is home to a different language (Portuguese) from the remainder of Spanish speaking Latin America.

I entered Brazil at the thundering waterfalls of Iguazu, then met up with Julia in the city of never-ending skyscrapers, Sao Paulo. From there we ventured north along the Atlantic coast stopping in Paraty with its beautiful historic downtown and its wealth of islands and beaches that surround it. Further north, we escaped to the natural paradise of Ilha Grande enjoying sunshine, beaches and most of all tranquility. The rest was needed because Rio de Janeiro, a city that does not sleep requires lots of energy, with a never-ending list of things to do, Rio de Janeiro is a city where I easily could have stayed much longer. Salvador de Bahia was the next stop and almost seemed like a different country: nested in African culture it is soaked in typical cuisine, dress, dance, capoeira and music. My final days in Brazil were spent once again in tranquility in the small town of Imbassai 70km north of Salvador, enjoying endless virgin beaches and the fantastic hospitality of Bahia. Back in Sao Paul, Julia and I would part ways. After a beautiful time together that once again brought us closer in hearts, it was difficult to say good-bye. Following a month of subtle suggestions, Julia had decided to postpone her job search in favor of traveling longer – what a fantastic decision.

Leaving Brazil, it seems appropriate to quote Paulo Coelho in that “the universe always conspires in favor of those that follow their dreams.” With that promise in mind I quit my job 1 ½ years ago looking for more in life than an artificially illuminated office and a daily routine that draws its energy from the weekends. 1 ½ years later I am overwhelmed by the beauty of life manifesting itself in its infinite forms and know that there is no other way than to follow your heart. And so fortune had it, that I boarded an airplane hoping that my time ahead would be as amazing, inspiring, thought provoking, adventurous, educational, and most of all happy as the past 1 ½ years of living a dream I still cannot believe became reality.










Contact me: 2franks.world@yahoo.com


Frank's World Traffic Counter