28 March 2007

The Motorcycle Diaries: Cordoba, Argentina

After a week in tranquil Mendoza, Cordoba definitely feels more like a city (bigger, louder and more activity). Fortunately, once again things worked out great and I was led to a fun and friendly hostel and met great people making the stay in Cordoba enjoyable and memorable.

Cordoba is a young and lively city featuring one of the biggest universities and student populations in the country. Not only is the city filled with student cafes, restaurants and book shops but a wide variety of student activities ranging from political discussions, foreign movie nights or playing chess in the park. After only a few days I had met many people and started to feel very comfortable (if not at home): the language faculty was hosting a German movie night which helped me to meet some fellow Germans as well as German students, the chess in the park (although losing most games) introduced me to several other very interesting characters and reminded me how much I enjoy the game, and through the diverse political activities I became friends with a local literature professor.

Cordoba is a city filled with history (as Argentina’s 3rd oldest city) from old colonial buildings, quaint squares and historical statues and offers as a reminder that despite of all the harm and destruction brought to the American continent, the Spanish did know how to build beautiful cities: big parks offering a refuge to busy city life, markets, plazas and lively pedestrian areas. If I had the chance to go to university again, Cordoba would definitely come into close consideration.










Contact me: 2franks.world@yahoo.com


Frank's World Traffic Counter