28 February 2007

The Motorcycle Diaries: Esquel and National Park “Los Alceres”

After 2 days of gravel roads on Highway 40 I was exhausted and ready for relaxation. Once again destiny led me to the perfect place. Passing by the charming town of Esquel (with its 35000 inhabitants, it was the biggest one I had seen in over a week), then continuing onwards to National Park “Los Alceres” located in the Andes mountains bordering Chile on the west. Similar to El Chaltén, Los Alceres is beautifully located amidst snow covered mountains, green forests and crystal clear lakes. I found an amazingly beautiful campground on the shores of a lake, which with a water temperature of 16C degrees made for a refreshing bath. There I rested for a few days, doing some beautiful hikes above the tree line offering breathtaking views of the entire region, visiting several thundering waterfalls or simply resting in the shade enjoying the scenic surroundings. At night the temperature declined rapidly but a cozy crackling camp fire kept me warm while the over-head the skies offered an impressive display of millions of shining stars.










Contact me: 2franks.world@yahoo.com


Frank's World Traffic Counter