28 March 2007

The Motorcycle Diaries: Mendoza, Argentina

Mendoza, what a pleasant city! Located on the edge of the over-towering Andes, Mendoza is the biggest city in western Argentina and the gateway to Chile (only 2 hours away from Santiago). Given its size (about 1 million people) Mendoza has succeeded in maintaining a very comfortable atmosphere, which is quite unusual for a Latin American city of its size. Typically a big city in Latin America is synonymous with noisy busy streets, lots of traffic and dirty & dusty air. Mendoza shows none of these signs and almost gives the visitor the tranquility of visiting a small town but at the same time offers all the culture and activities of a big city. I felt so comfortable here that I kept extending my stay and would up staying a good week (rather than the few days I had anticipated). Its many parks and plazas are always filled with people (Argentineans seem to have vast amounts of free time) talking, resting or sharing Mate (the ubiquitous national drink). Cafes, shops and restaurants fill the streets next to extraordinary colonial buildings and the pleasant climate and friendly people made me feel at home. If one actually were to get tired for spending time in the city, there are breathtaking mountains just hours away which offer all outdoor activities imaginable. Not to forget, as an added benefit, Mendoza is the wine capital of Argentina (producing over 80% of the country’s wine). Visiting the local wine information office I am told that the region of Mendoza is home to over 2000 vineyards (of all sizes from tiny family business to global wine exporters). And although I did my best to sample a bottle from every Bodega, I did not even come close but leave the city with some very tasty memories.








Contact me: 2franks.world@yahoo.com


Frank's World Traffic Counter