28 December 2006

Adios Nicaragua

View all photos from Nicaragua: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AcNmzVq5YsWLEeA


I came to Nicaragua with mixed feelings: not sure what to expect and somewhat nervous about the propaganda regarding poverty and violence. Fortunately, I am leaving 3 weeks later with a completely revised impression during which Nicaragua has ascended to one of my favorite countries in the region.

In review, I entered the country at dusty Guasaule via Chinandego to Leon, a fun and young university city, where I spend a week enjoying friendly conversations, visiting the colonial town, going volcano boarding on Cerro Negro or escaping to the empty beaches of Poneloyta. Transiting though the loud and dirty capital Managua I visited the even older colonial city of Granada followed by a few peaceful and quiet days on Laguna Apoyo then on the Masaya city and up Volcano Masaya. From there the road led me to “the oasis of peace” island Ometepe and was captured for a good week by its magic. Before proceeding on to Costa Rica, I decided to spend a few days on the beach (Playa Madera) just north of San Juan del Sur resting, surfing and enjoying spectacular sunsets.

Although I have seen quite a few places of Nicaragua over the past weeks, I leave with an even longer list of things I would like to see on my next trip. This, I suppose, is a sign that I really enjoyed my stay and am sure the next one will be just as good.










Contact me: 2franks.world@yahoo.com


Frank's World Traffic Counter