28 December 2006

Adios Costa Rica

View all photos from Costa Rica: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AcNmzVq5YsWLElg

After the heat of Nicaragua I was ready for refreshment so the mountains of Costa Rica were just what I needed. I entered Costa Rica at Peñas Blancas. The border crossing was extremely busy and marked by a line of at least 5km of trucks awaiting entry. Fortunately as a backpacker I did not have to worry about waiting in line. I proceeded along the Pan-Americana via Liberia and Cañas to the small mountain town of Tilaran. From there I ventured around the scenic Logo Arenal to La Fortuna. Towering over the town is Volcano Arenal, the 3rd most active volcano on the planet, lava constantly running down its side. There I spent a few days exploring the volcano and its beautiful jungle vicinity including a night at the natural hot springs, soaking I one of 16 pools of hot water watching lava run down the mountain. The capital San Jose was the next stop. While still loud, dirty and somewhat dangerous San Jose is much more developed and surprisingly pleasant (compared to other Central American capitals). From there I was once again drawn to the Caribbean beaches passing through Limon visiting the ocean towns Cahuita and Puerto Viejo de Talamanca. While the pacific is just as beautiful, the Caribbean has a special atmosphere (Reggae, hammocks, Rasta, rum and coke and a very slow pace of life) that makes Costa Rica’s east coast a very enjoyable place to visit. One day in particular comes to mind when I rented a bicycle and with a few friends rode along the beach road passing by jungle and palm trees (howler monkeys screaming in the background and butterflies playing in the air) along the many virgin and pristine beaches, taking a swim in many of them. And so I spent time "sittin' on the dock of the bay watching the tide roll away…" Because the time there was so nice I continued my trip south crossing the border at Sixaola into Panama traveling to Bocas del Toro for more Caribbean fun and sun.














Contact me: 2franks.world@yahoo.com


Frank's World Traffic Counter