05 October 2006

In transit through Mexico

View all photos from Mexico:http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AcNmzVq5YsWLDgA

For more beautiful pictures from Mexico (among other countries): http://www.lumika.org/index.htm#Galleries

It almost seems like all journeys begin and end in Mexico (at least that has been my experience recently) as if it were the gateway to the world. Well, in a way it could be considered a gateway to the Latin World. Since I have grown to love Mexico, this does not bother me one bit. I can now count 10 different arrivals to Mexico. This time I was in route from Cuba to Guatemala where I plan to attend a course at a Yoga and Mediation center. Arriving in Cancun, I had to stop by my favorite destination, Tulum, for a few days of beach and relaxation. Thereafter the road led to Mérida, the capital of Yucatan, a pretty colonial town with lots of history and charm. Next, I spent a day visiting the Uxmal ruins, which I enjoyed a lot particularly because it seemed like I was (almost) the only tourist there. The ambiance of an ancient city like Uxmal completely changes depending on the amount of tourists. Since I fell in love with the Habana malecón, I thought I would also check out the Campeche one (only to find that nothing happens on the Campeche malecón neither day nor night). The main square however is full of life, music and people and the beautifully illumined colonial buildings make a great setting. From Campeche I headed south to Palenque. Although I had been to Palenque and its magical ruins several years back, I did not mind returning. There is something about returning to a familiar destination and observing how much it has changed or how accurate our memories serve us. The next destination was San Cristobal (also a town that has grown close to my heart). Manu Chao was onto something when he wrote the song about the positive vibrations of San Cristobal. Comitan is a small town in southern Chiapas, which I used as a lay over to tour the Montebello Lagoons (a district covered with beautiful lagoons and lakes surrounded by jungle). Walking through (relatively) unspoiled, untouched wilderness is always an amazing experience especially when the scenery is as beautiful as Meontebello. And so my Mexico experience ended in Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, a small little border town. México says goodbye while Guatemala awaits me.


























Contact me: 2franks.world@yahoo.com


Frank's World Traffic Counter