05 October 2006

The Innocence of Children

Taking a walk though the Campeche Zocalo, I spot a bench full of children. Since children always provide a heart warming experience I cannot resist sitting down next to them. It only takes a few moments until one of them asks me why I am so tall and wants to measure himself next to me. A little girl asks to look at my blue eyes, which fascinate her. When I tell them I am Germany they ask a million questions about the world cup (the world remembers, even the 5 year old), the language (how do you say melon head in German) and the culture (what do we eat in my house). Since about 15 children appeared to have come with one woman I am curious to how many mothers all these children belong so I ask Carlitos (a 4 year old) how many brothers and sisters he has. He starts counting. At about 15 Diana, next to him, stops him objecting: “No Carlitos, only your true brothers.” But Carlitos insists: “They are all my brothers and keeps counting.” But Diana is strict: “No, you can only count your real brothers, the children of you mom, the ones that live in your house.” But Carlitos is unimpressed makes the cutest, most innocent face in the world and says:” But all the others are my brothers too.”

This little boy has accomplished what most of us never will, the ability to transcend the feeling of brotherly love beyond is family and generously included all his friends. May his definition of brother stay with him as long as possible.









Contact me: 2franks.world@yahoo.com


Frank's World Traffic Counter