25 January 2006

12 – 17 January 2006: Zillertal, Austria



Moments in the mountains:

My face is hot. In fact it is glowing from the strength of the sun rays warming my face. I am surrounded by snow but when I close my eyes it feels just like summer. I open my eyes and see mountains and valleys as far as the eye can see, wrapped in a thick cover of snow sparkling in the sunlight as if a thousand mirrors were pointed at my eyes.




Relearning to ski:

I do not recall the first time I stood on skis but skiing is something that has accompanied me my whole life. How unfortunate that I have not taken the time over the past years to ski more. Even stronger the excitement now the I re-connect with a long-lost hobby, which I have always loved.
Isn’t it exciting to re-discover things, which we have known all along?




Sunshine on my face:

There is something very pleasing about rest after a good workout. Your body simply feels good. I am sure the biologists have deduced this happy state to a chemical reaction in the brain. I am glad that at the moment I do not have to confuse myself with these complexities or any complexities for that matter.
I am feeling the hot mountain sun warming my face. My tired legs are dangling from the bench of a mountain lodge. I can feel the blood pumping through them replenishing their energy, taking away the fatigue.
In front of me lies a beautiful panoramic view of the Austrian Alps – snow covered mountain tops, steep valleys, ever-green forests partially hidden by snow. I cannot decide with I enjoy more: keeping my eyes open and indulging in the scenery or closing them and immersing myself in the warm flood of sunlight.
This lunch-break is beautiful and in retrospect I can no longer understand why it has taken my so many years to return here (23 years to be exact; It was here where I learned how to ski 23 years ago).


Harakiri:

Dictionary: Harakiri: Japanese for ancient form of ritual suicide.
It is already later in the afternoon when we discover a ski-slope denoted by a skull and crossed bones on the ski map. Below it reads that this ski-slope entails a 78% decline, which makes it the steepest slope in Austria.
A few minutes later my dad an I are standing at the edge of the a ledge looking down into the valley below. There are no people in sight but the signs to the left and right leave no question: this is where you are supposed to ski down. It is hard to put a 78% decline into words, other than to say YAHOO!!!





Contact me: 2franks.world@yahoo.com


Frank's World Traffic Counter