12 February 2007

The Motorcycle Diaries: Day 2: Latin Inventions

Today provided more evidence that our luck had turned favorably and that things should be smoother going forward (somewhat). After escaping the highway and having breakfast in nature overlooking the surrounding mountains from a little forest we continued on our way south. The 2nd day offered a completely different motorcycle experience from the 1st: I felt much more confident and comfortable steering, shifting and controlling the bike was easier and even the wind did not bother me any more. The endless fields continued as we made our way further south entering into the infamous region of Patagonia.

Mid-afternoon we stopped to fuel up and Rafael joked with me that my luggage looked like it was about to fall off. I was sure I had tied it very thoroughly (despite the prior day’s fire). But he was right; the luggage did look somewhat questionable. After shaking and testing it, I realized in astonishment that the luggage holder was very loose and only held by two remaining screws (which were half undone as well). In other words, a few more hours (or minutes?) and I would have picked up my things all over the highway. Unfortunately we did not have the right tools and neither did the gas station so I decided to ask at a neighboring tire store. They did not have the right materials either but the creative Jose was extremely helpful and invented both tool and solution and after an hour of trial and error the luggage holder was tight again (at leas temporarily). The best part was he did not want a penny for his work (but after insisting he did accept a tip). Long live Latin American helpfulness!

The night fell on us much quicker than expected and we pitched out tents on a field by the road (in between Viedna and San Antonio del Oeste) making use of the last rays of daylight. The fading sun gave rise to an unbelievable and unforgettable starry night: the Milky Way as bright as I remember seeing it, shooting stars left and right and constellations of the southern skies I had never seen before. Distance traveled: 450km.












Contact me: 2franks.world@yahoo.com


Frank's World Traffic Counter